- 1 3/4 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 Piecrust blind baked
Filling and baking instructions:
- Turn pumpkin into saucepan and stir over direct heat for 10 minutes until somewhat dry and slightly caramelized, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat but keep hot.
- Mix thoroughly together the sugar, salt, and spices, and stir into hot pumpkin.
- Beat eggs, add cream and milk, and beat into pumpkin mixture until smooth.
- Pour immediately into pie crust and bake in a moderately hot oven (400° F) for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and only an inch circle in the center of the filling remains liquid.
- Cool thoroughly on cake rack before cutting.
Note: Perfectly baked pumpkin pie has no cracks on its surface. Baking hot filling in a chilled crust at 400° F for 25 to 30 minutes produces a smooth, shiny good textured custard and a well-baked crust free from soaking. Watch the pie closely as it bakes – it might be done early, since the cold raw crust isn’t there to protect it. And if the edges are starting to look wrinkled while the middle is very jiggly, turn the heat down to 350.
Note: I prefer it cold, so bake a day ahead of time and refridgerate. I think this helps the spice flavor develop.
Original source(spice mix was changed): https://food52.com/recipes/15143-meta-given-s-pumpkin-pie