Black Bean Chorizo Chili
- 12 oz Spanish and/or Mexican chorizo, without casing
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped (add more if you like garlic!)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried hot red pepper flakes (add more if you like heat!)
- 2 tablespoons of cumin (add more if you like cumin!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- 3 (15-19 oz) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed (if you like more beans, add more beans!)
- 1/5 bag of frozen fire roasted or grilled corn (find in frozen food aisle at TJs or WFs)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese or Grated Cotija Cheese (or whatever cheese you dig)
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Slices of Avocado
- Pico de gallo
- Cook chorizo, onion, garlic, bell pepper, pepper flakes, cumin, and salt in oil in 3 qt heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and beans and simmer, partially covered for 15 minutes.
- Lightly mash beans with potato masher to thicken.
Chorizo is the new bacon and belongs in everything. Chorizo is the new black.