- 6 cups water
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds bone-in thighs
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, skin on and sliced into 4 pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- Pinch ground white pepper, plus more as needed
- Coarsely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
- Place all ingredients except the cilantro and scallions in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cook at a lively simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice has completely broken down and the mixture is creamy, about 1 hour.
- Turn off the heat and remove the chicken to a cutting board.
- When it’s cool enough to handle, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces, discarding the cartilage, bones, and skin.
- Return the chicken shreds to the jook.
- Stir to combine, taste, and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cilantro and scallions.
Original source: https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/ginger-chicken-jook-rice-porridge-29184