- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion (1 large)
- 2 stalks finely diced celery
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground veal
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup whole milk - We forgot this last time, consider leaving it out
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups panko (Japanese bread flakes)
- Good bread (Been using La Brea Bakery with garlic cloves)
- Sliced Provolone Cheese
- Red onion
Meatloaf cooking instructions:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large (12-inch) sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and celery and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent but not browned. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the beef, veal, pork, parsley, thyme, chives, eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Put the panko in a food processor fitted with the steel blade and process until the panko is finely ground.
- Add the onion mixture and the panko to the meat mixture. Mix.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a sheet pan.
- Pat the meat into a flat rectangle and then press the sides in until it forms a cylinder down the middle of the pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a thermometer inserted in the middle reads 155 to 160 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Sandwich assembly instructions:
- Slice and put on a thick layer of ketchup.
- Put it in the toaster oven on broil so that it carmelizes some.
- Create a open face sammy with a layer of toast, provolone cheese, meatloaf + glaze, red onion.
Meatloaf Source: https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/1770-house-meatloaf