- 2-1/2 pounds Ground Beef
- 1 whole Large Onion, Diced
- 1 whole Large Green Bell Pepper, Diced
- Minced Garlic - lots
- 1-1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1 cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder (more To Taste)
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (more To Taste)
- Worcestershire Sauce, To Taste
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- Hot Sauce, To Taste
- Salt To Taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
- Brioche Rolls
- Sliced Gouda cheese
- Red onion slices
- Brown ground beef. Drain some of the fat if there is a lot and discard.
- Add onions, green pepper, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, or until vegetables begin to get soft.
- Add ketchup, brown sugar, chili pepper, dry mustard, and water. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Also add tomato paste, Worcestershire, and hot sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
My general theory of sloppy joes is that it’s like a sweet chili. The recipe is only a base. Let it stew for a while to let all the flavors come together. And always season to taste.
Serve on the brioche buns with slices of smoked Gouda and slices of red onion. The Gouda makes it smokey, and the red onion gives it a good crunch.
Adapted from: https://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/sloppy-joes/?printable_recipe=11699