- 1 lb of ground dark turkey
- 1/2 lb of good chorizo
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
- pico de gallo - TODO how much to add?
- 1 can rinsed and drained black beans
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth - TODO which one?
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- small tin of hatch chilis (hot)
- 2 jalapenos
- Taco Seasoning + extra cumin
- Cornbread Casserole + 1 egg + one tablespoon of sugar
- In a dutch oven, saute the turkey, chorizo, and onion over medium-high heat until the meat is cooked and the onion translucent.
- Add the beans, corn, tomato paste, some pico de gallo, broth, bell pepper, hatch chilis, jalapenos, and seasoning. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Put the mixture in the bottom of a casserole pan
- Make the cornbread casserole mixture, and layer on top.
- Shredded Mexican cheese blennd
- Sour Cream
- Pico de gallo
Notes: Makes 6 servings. We call it Tamalepaj, because it’s sorta like Tacopaj, but more like a tamale.
Original Cornbread Tamale Pie recipe here: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12015-cornbread-tamale-pie